Thursday, March 25, 2010

More from Quilting Natural Florida 2

I just had to share a few more photos from this excellent exhibition at the Natural History Museum in Gainesville. (Related posts are here.) Above is a detail from Laura Quinn’s Pelicans by Susan Walen. The Laura Quinn of the title runs a volunteer bird hospital in Key Largo that the artist had visited and wished to honor. The sewn-on seashells on the seashore (try saying that three times, fast) are very effective, aren’t they? Below is the full image.
Another beautiful bird quilt is Solitude, by Gretchen Brooks, which depicts a Snowy Egret. The dark background shows off the white bird very dramatically.
I was intrigued in the label information about how the egret was made... the egret is a machine embroidery design that was digitized by BFC Creations. The company offers a huge number of designs that can be stitched out by the advanced sewing machines now available. This page shows the egret design. Personally, I’m only interested in creating my own original designs, but it is amazing what is “out there.”

Below is Road 9, Crandall Pasture, by Julie Mainor. The artist created quite an effective depiction of sunlight streaming into the woods.
Last but not least, below is GoPher It, by Dawn Moore. Like many Floridians, I adore gopher tortoises and often find them munching the vegetation on our property. Then there are the deer that keep hoovering the citrus tree leaves, but that’s another story!
It’s funny, but I can’t remember seeing any quilts with alligators... how did that happen?!? To see a page from the museum’s web site with several more nice images, click here. If you look at the participant page, there are several artists who don’t live in Florida, so anyone could enter as long as the quilt referenced the state’s natural beauty.

6 comments:

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Once again some beautiful quilts. I have to agree with you on the egret. I too prefer to create my own design. I do love the quilt though and love how she kept the naturalness in the border as well.

I have never heard of gopher turtles. Just goes to show you learn something everyday. So do they live in holes in the ground like gophers, or do they just get into trouble ruining your garden like gophers? :)

Dana Gaffney said...

Beautiful quilts, thanks for sharing. I really like the pelican one since I know Laura Quinn, she's a very impressive woman. Small world.

Bebedores do Gondufo said...

Very good.

Nellie's Needles said...

Wonderful! Thanks for posting them. Now I'm off to click on the link to see more.

Diane J. Evans said...

These people are incredible artists. It's inspiring to see what's being done out there with fiber art -- makes me want to spend oodles of time with people such as these.

Diane

Dolores said...

Thanks for the mini quilt show. What great work.