Monday, September 28, 2009

Top #2 on the design wall

To make it easier to arrange the pieces for this second quilt top from the estate sale fabric, I decided to clear all the “stuff” off of my design wall and actually use it for its intended purpose. Here is a close-up of some of the fabrics in this batch. Love the Eiffel tower prints!
Below is the entire top. I don’t know about you, but it looks to me as if those purple dots aren’t fitting in very well. Can you say “sore thumb?” There is enough fabric to insert something else instead. The other option in this kind of situation is to cut up the purple dots into smaller pieces and have it appear more than once, but I doubt that would work in this case.
This basic arrangement of big chunks is similar to top #1, but using the design wall instead of winging it is definitely making it easier already.

Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Dolores said...

Way to go! It looks great and I am glad that you have a design wall to use. I agree that the purple dots do not go at all. It sort of throws the whole thing off. I do love the Eiffel Tower fabric and am wondering if there is some left that you could use, perhaps in a smaller quilt, that would feature that fabric.

Diane J. Evans said...

I'm all for lots of color, but I agree with you that the purple dots don't quite make it here. The other fabrics are so great together, though -- good eye!

Diane

Unknown said...

Update: The purple dots, cute on their own but fighting with the rest of these fabrics, have been relegated to be part of a pillow back. I’m starting to sew the top together... so far, so good!