Friday, September 18, 2009

Do you want greener books?

Have you ever wondered which is better for the environment: paper books or electronic books? I dug through some articles to see if there was an answer to that question and posted the results on I.N.K. (Interesting Nonfiction for Kids.) It’s amazing how many factors there are to consider, and I.N.K. readers have added a few more.

In other I.N.K. news, the 20+ author-bloggers been compiling a database of all our books in terms of how they meet national educational standards. For example, Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story helps students to meet several standards developed by the NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English) such as NL-ENG.K-12.4: Communication Skills. The database will be a free resource for librarians, teachers, and parents who prefer to use high quality trade books but also need to justify their educational value. It’s due for launch in October with its own web site so more details will be coming soon!

By the way, here’s what’s going on in the illustration above... Rufus the fox has just woken up and feels “as fresh as a daisy.” During the story, whenever a character is compared to something he or she turns into that thing. Since various characters “shake like a leaf,” become “as mad as a hornet,” and get “as cold as ice,” they look pretty silly throughout.

2 comments:

Beena said...

Just my opinion, but I like the feel of a real genuine book in my hands and turning the pages sometimes 'til they are "dog eared"! I'm not ready for a Kindle quite yet.
And by the way, your book sounds great! I love the concept of the characters changing. Kids books can be so much more fun than books for adult...they get all those great visual perks, and nothing so scary it makes you lose sleep at night.

Diane J. Evans said...

I love the feel of a book as I curl up in bed at night -- I just can't get cozy with a computer screen. And it's wonderful to look back on the dog-eared and well-loved books we shared with our son while he was growing up.

Your book sounds wonderful! My husband is a retired elementary special ed teacher, and he would have loved something like this. Keep up the great work!

Diane