Friday, May 28, 2010

Ta-dah...the finished wolf

After glue-basting the patches down and cutting out the wolf, I tried some possible background fabrics. The idea was to vaguely suggest a landscape while keeping it very simple. I considered introducing some subdued greens, but they looked hideous, so forget that!
The above colors were pretty good, but overall it was too blah. The fabrics below were almost what the artist ordered, but the gray “mountain range” seemed too similar to the wolf’s underlying fur color. I also fixed his mouth...above it looks like he has an overbite and his lower jaw was too rigid, so below it’s a tad more wrinkled.
So, after some free-motion machine stitching and a fabric binding, here’s how he turned out:
I’m pretty happy with this piece, all things considered. There were some glitches with the eye... next time I’ll probably paint the entire eye instead of fooling with teensy pieces of fabric. I’m not crazy about this “typical” binding and need to come up with a more interesting option. Maybe painting a more irregular “frame” that is rigid because of the acrylic paint and stitching it on would do the trick. (Will have to try that idea, probably doesn’t make too much sense!)


Last but not least, any ideas for a title? Other than Ta-dah, that is.



7 comments:

Quilting Queen said...

All I can say...when I caught my breath is "WOW"!!!

Unknown said...

Aw, thank you both! That means a lot.

Libby Fife said...

He looks good! It is funny but he almost looks a little transparent, if that makes any sense. Maybe the similar color scheme in the background? Whatever the reason, from where I sit it is a subtle and neat effect.

Diane Wright said...

I've enjoyed following the progression...and think he looks very intense. He's gorgeous

Diane J. Evans said...

He's so majestic -- it would seem that you have to give him a royal title of some sort. A beautiful piece of work, Loreen.

Diane

Unknown said...

Thanks for coming by, y'all! I would enjoy depicting more animal life in the future, though I'm in the middle of various trees at the moment. But hey, maybe a hawk in a tree would be nice, or an egret roosting. So many possibilities!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Ooh he is so handsome! I like him. I agree with you about the binding but it is still fabulous. I will look forward to your other animals or birds.

No name help here either. Seems it should be an Native American name.