Friday, April 17, 2009

Welcome to the Online Quilt Festival!

Greetings fellow quilting bloggers, thanks so much for stopping by. (If you’re wondering what the online Quilt Festival is, here’s the scoop.) This is High Tide I, which is about 42" X 80" and made from a variety of cotton fabrics. It’s the largest piece I’ve made so far and one of the more abstract ones. Click on the photos for a larger view.




It started out as this little sketch of swirling waves breaking on the beach in my art journal. I ended up adding a lot more lines to break up the shapes into smaller pieces. An opaque projector was used to transfer the lines onto a blue background fabric, which worked fairly well.





The fabric shapes were cut freehand, pinned in place, then glue-basted to the foundation fabric. The edges are raw and the outer 1/8" of each piece is left unattached so an interesting raised texture is created.





The quilting stitches create flowing swirls and wave-like shapes (view of back.)

I hope you enjoyed seeing this quilt... please come back again!

21 comments:

Diane J. Evans said...

Gosh, you are multi-talented! You can draw and make beautiful art quilts and who knows what else?! I love the lines in this quilt -- a real eye-grabber, Loreen!

Diane

Beena said...

I love the flow of the design and the colors are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I love the flowing lines and the use of colour, - beautiful.

Eldrid

Jan said...

Your abstract quilt is outstanding. I love the motion in it.

Zonnah said...

Wow, that is crazy, in a good way :) I love it.

Jocelyn said...

Hey Loreen, I am in Florida too. What a cool quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Sandra said...

What a great abstract, yet evocative depiction of waves and shore. A true Florida quilt.
Come see my entries #215
and my antique quilts #220
Sandra

Kerri said...

this is such a beautiful work of art!!

Quilt Rat said...

This is wonderful, has a very calming affect, I love to go to the shore ........the sound of the waves the feel of the sand, the movement is so well captured in this piece.
Thanks for sharing the info about the online festival....I found out about it from your blog and it is Fabulous!

Quilted Librarian said...

Beautiful quilt, Loreen. I love the way the curves move your eye all around the composition. Great work!

Emma said...

Fabulous quilt, I love the movement!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Great quilt design!

Unknown said...

My thanks to everyone for such kind words. This has been a great way to “exhibit,“ with no packing hassles or shipping costs!

stitchinpenny said...

Amazing - I have a deep respect for curves.

Unknown said...

Stunning! I love the movement and your choice of colors. Thank you for sharing this gem!

pcoxdesign said...

Love it!

Janet Brady said...

What an awesome quilt. Thanks for sharing your process in such detail. Very enlightening.

Granny Lyn said...

What a beautiful piece of art! You're talents are amazing!

Anonymous said...

It's lovely, thanks for sharing...Kathy

Kim said...

Great piece! Love the colors and the curves...thanks also for sharing the process. So often we see something we like but can't figure out how to achieve a similar effect. This helps!

Heather said...

love the movement in the swirls.